Supervuoro Verkkolehti »

Pesis-tilastojen laatiminen englanniksi [Trying to translate pesis stats into English]

This post seemed more appropriate for the forums than for Twitter..

Because people often reach out to me to learn more about pesis, I have been working to translate some of the statistics into "baseball friendly" terms that Americans (and others familiar with American baseball) can understand. Some things translate easily like home runs, RBI, and runs scored.

Kärkilyönnit does not translate quite as well, though it is pretty close to our "slugging percentage" stat.
Kolmostilanteet works as 1:1 for a stat we call "runners in scoring position" except in the pesis case, we'd only count RISP for runners on third base, whereas here anyone on 2nd or 3rd is considered in 'scoring position'

With the dearth of live sports this spring/summer, people have been very interested in pesis, so I've enjoyed introducing them to the game as I've done in the past.

Let me know if my writing in English is more annoying than my bad Finnish language attempts, I am still not good enough at writing Finnish yet! :)

(Lead) Runners advanced

Yeah, have to invent a new stat essentially for it. And then create a Runners Advanced percentage. But explaining the concept of lead runners is wild to baseball fans since hitters don't get as many at-bats in a single baseball game as you do in pesis (thanks to all of the strikes), so I was trying to shoehorn it into a stat that already exists.

Jotta voit kirjoittaa viestejä, sinun täytyy rekisteröityä foorumille. Rekisteröityminen on ilmaista, helppoa ja nopeaa. Rekisteröidy tästä.